Breast Implant Replacement
Do you know that there’s a “shelf life” with breast implants? Houston advertisers might tell you that “diamonds are forever,” but that rule doesn’t apply to breast implants, too. Here’s the scoop!
Why You’d Want To/Need to Replace Your Breast Implants:
- You want to change size: either bigger or smaller
- You want to switch from saline-filled to gel-filled (or vice versa)
- You have developed a capsular contracture
- Your saline implant(s) have ruptured and need replaced
- You see wrinkling, rippling, or a “double bubble”
- Since your breast augmentation procedure you’ve experienced breast drooping and want to have a breast lift. I don’t usually replace the implants during a breast lift so long as they’re in good shape and you’re still happy with the size of the implants.
How Long Should I Expect My Implants To Last?
The biggest US implant manufacturers, Mentor and Allergan, warranty their implants for life. However, some women may wish to replace them because of the issues above.
Will I Have Extra Scars if I Replace My Breast Implants?
No, not usually. In general, the same incisions are used as in the initial procedure.
How Will I Know If My Breast Implants Are “Old?”
Unless you experience one of the problems on the list above, you shouldn’t need to replace your implants. Like the old saying, “if it’s not broken, don’t fix it.” However, if you do have any concerns about your implants, make an appointment to come in and see me.
To your health and beauty,
Donna Rich, MD
Houston Board Certified Plastic Surgeon