Summer sun safety and other tips to help you look and feel younger
Summer is in full swing now with Houston’s long hot summer days. Too much sun exposure can result in sun damage, skin cancer and premature aging.
Here are a few tips to help safely enjoy the summer sun.
- Avoid sun exposure between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. when possible, and remember that clouds do not protect you from ultraviolet exposure.
- Avoid long periods of direct sun exposure. Altitude, water and sand increase your exposure to the sun.
- Use a sun block with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or higher for both UVA and UVB rays. Re-apply every 2 hours. During swimming or strenuous activity, re-apply every 30 minutes and immediately afterwards.
- Apply sunblock 30 minutes before going out into the sun to allow time for the skin to absorb it.
- Wear sunglasses that have 100% UV protection.
- Ask your doctor about sun exposure and medications you may be taking.
Want to know more about protecting yourself from sun damage? Ask about our variety of sunscreens that not only protect the skin, but are full of ingredients that benefit the skin health as well.
When it comes to looking younger, prevention of damaging sun exposure is important, but how we feel is also key to how we age.
The best way to stay young is to feel healthy inside and out. Here are a few tips for feeling your best.
- Nutrition. Remember, the skin is the body’s largest organ and taking care of it is vital to looking and feeling our best. Eat a diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, moderate amounts of low-fat proteins, some whole grains daily and a minimum of processed foods. Good skin protectors are Omega-3 foods like fish, walnuts and avocados.
- Get plenty of sleep and less stress.
- Smoking. Just don’t do it. Statistics tells us how bad smoking is for our health, but it can also cause dull, discolored skin with loss of elasticity that shows up on our faces as deeper wrinkles!
When taking a long hard look at our skin, we need to focus on the things we can change, like sun exposure and even repeated facial expressions. Facial wrinkles begin with those expressions we make over and over again. It may sound strange, but consider giving your face a break from those standard expressions – maybe even try on some new ones.
Want another tool in your fight against wrinkles and fine lines? Come in and talk to our skin care specialist about the products we offer that relax, soften and even reverse the damage done over time.
And finally, use a little mind over matter – if you want to feel younger, think younger! Visualize yourself at the age you want to be, and project that image to others.
For more information on skin care, log on to www.beautifulfacedoc.com or call our office at 281.286.1000.