SHOULD YOU CARE WHERE YOUR PLASTIC SURGEON OPERATES?
You have decided to have a breast augmentation, you have researched board certified plastic surgeons, scrutinizing their experience, viewing their before and after photos and reviews. Have you thought about where they operate??
When it comes to a safe, successful plastic surgery experience, a qualified plastic surgeon is essential but where you have your procedure matters as well. Before you book your surgery, make sure your surgeon operates in an accredited surgery center.
Accreditation is important for a number of reasons:
- Facility is clean and up to code, with all the necessary equipment should any emergency arise.
- Staff assisting the surgeon are licensed and qualified to perform their jobs.
- Your privacy is protected.
- The facility is not a fly by night surgery center.
- Most importantly, your plastic surgeon has a valid medical license and is qualified and trained to perform the procedure in an accredited surgery center.
Sometimes, surgeons advertise themselves as a “cosmetic surgeon” but are not board certified, taking a weekend class to learn how to perform breast augmentations. In this case, they can only perform surgeries in their office because they do not have credentials to operate at the hospital or at an accredited surgery center. You also need to know if they have admitting privileges to a hospital if there is an emergency.
Bayview Plastic Surgery has an AAAASF accredited surgery center with an all female staff. Dr. Rich also has surgical and admitting privileges at Clear Lake Hospital.